Harper Becomes Home Town Hero

Back to Article
Back to Article

Harper Becomes Home Town Hero

May 6, 2019; St. Louis, MO, USA; Philadelphia Phillies right fielder Bryce Harper (3) bats during the seventh inning against the St. Louis Cardinals at Busch Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

Zachary B., Sports Editor

It’s now common knowledge that the former Washington Nationals Star, Bryce Harper, signed by the Phillies during the offseason. Harper’s 13 year, $330 million deal with the Phillies broke records and made history. Of course Washington Nationals fans were enraged and filled with anger, meanwhile Philadelphia Phillies fans were jumping for joy. Harper is an all around stud that strikes out a lot, but that won’t stop him from coming back and showing Philadelphia that he is worthy to be a Phillie. Despite the “Boos,” Bryce is here to make history and is worthy for what is ahead of him to come as a member of the Phillies.

In Woodbury Heights Elementary School, there is a swarm of Phillie fans, but there are also several dissenters as well. There is a mix of Mets and Yankees fans, as well as some people that don’t really pay attention to baseball throughout WHES. Mr. M, the 2018-2019 5th grade student teacher, is a huge Phillies fan. He was exuberant that the D.C. star signed with the Phillies over the offseason. “Harper’s deal was a great deal for the city of Philadelphia and they need to win now rather than playing for the future.” Mr. M confidently stated.He also stated that Harper brings fire power to the team, and said that he deserves the $330 million, 13 year deal with Philly. Miss Harkins, the 5th grade ELA and Social Studies teacher in Woodbury Heights Elementary School, is a forever Phillies fan and shared her excited opinion about the deal, “I am very happy!!!!!!! The city of Philadelphia deserves Harper.”  She further explained that she is happy for Bryce, but he doesn’t need all that money to play a sport. She said with that comment “Since it is the new trend now I’m fine with this amount of money he received.” Several teachers also said that Bryce has made the Phillies better in their appearance and record.

There is always another side to an opinion, especially about Bryce Harper’s new deal. In WHES, Mr. Dougherty is a Yankees Fan. As you can tell, the Yankees aren’t a favored team in Woodbury Heights Elementary. Mr. Dougherty explained that the Phillies were lacking the star power that the team needed to win. Also he stated that the merchandise will be skyrocketing because of Bryce Harper. “He deserves to be welcomed but 13 years is too long of a contract to send to a 26 year old baseball player.” Mr. Dougherty stated firmly. Even though Mr. Dougherty doesn’t like the Phillies that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t like the former D.C. star. Another teacher who dislikes the Phillies is 4th grade ELA and Science teacher, Mr. Brodsky, a Mets fan. He does not like the Phillies or Bryce Harper. “I think Bryce Harper signing a long term contract with the Phillies shows his desire to have a permanent home in a new city.” Mr. Brodsky said strongly. He also stated that Bryce Harper will make the team better, and can help them win a championship.

Even though there are lots of Phillies fans and some not Phillies fans there are still some people in WHES who don’t pay attention to sports. Our S.T.E.A.M. teacher, Mrs. Gallinaro doesn’t really pay attention to sports. She says that she doesn’t really care about Bryce Harper and his deal with his family. “I don’t know but I don’t care, but the money itself sounds pretty good” Mrs. Gallinaro said not knowing what she was talking about. Even though Mrs. Gallinaro doesn’t really know much about Bryce harper and the Phillies that doesn’t mean she doesn’t root for them.

A lot of people have their feelings about Bryce Harper and the Phillies in WHES. Kids around the school are very big Phillies fans and say everything positive about Bryce and his new deal. Mrs Lizza is a Phillies fan who said that it was very exciting to see that Bryce Harper is a Phillie. Woodbury Heights Elementary School is very excited to see that Bryce Harper is a Phillie even though some have shared a different opinion.