Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Sophia M., Entertainment Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

On September 24, 2018 the Philadelphia Flyers got a new mascot debuted. The mascot is a 7 foot tall furry monster named Gritty. He was created by former Phillie Phanatic: David Raymond. Most people don’t like Gritty. He has large googly eyes and a wide smile. In a video on YouTube Gritty is having a dance off with the Philly Phanatic. Gritty made his official debut at the Wells Fargo Center for the Flyers home opening game, Thursday October, 24th. He swung down from the ceiling on a wrecking ball to Miley Cyrus’ hit song Wrecking Ball. I did a interview with three of my classmates, Shea Smith, Tavien Benoit, and Haley Rohrer. There is still mixed emotions about Gritty, whether people like him or not but looks like he is here to stay so there is nothing we can do about it.

—–Interview—–

#1 Do You Like The New Flyers Mascot?

Tavien: No

Haley: No

Shea: No

#2 Why Don’t You Like The New Mascot?

Tavien: He’s scary. He makes me want to go in a hole.

Haley: He’s a bit creepy.

Shea: He looks like the zombie of Elmo and Animal.                                                   ,

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
26 Comments

26 Responses to “Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?”

1. Mrs. Lizza on November 1st, 2018 2:24 pm

Long live Gritty! I love him!! This is an interesting article to learn more about Gritty!

2. Stacey Wells on November 1st, 2018 9:57 pm

I LOVE Gritty and so does my family. We are big Flyers fans!

3. Sra. Rodríguez on November 3rd, 2018 7:52 pm

I think the NEW Gritty is AWESOME! I love how brightly fun colored he is! You can’t miss him from anywhere! Those big google eyes makes him fun! And that great big smile makes me HAPPY! So I’m TOTALLY FOR GRITTY!!!
    Sra.R

4. Aubrey K. on November 12th, 2018 1:09 pm

I think that Gritty is a little bit creepy but I think this article is amazing.

5. Shea on November 12th, 2018 1:13 pm

I’ve seen Gritty live and now I actually kind of like him!

6. Michael on November 14th, 2018 10:44 am

I like Gritty he’s diffrent

7. Leah on November 14th, 2018 10:45 am

I don’t know if I do or don’t like gritty. He is scary at times but sometimes he’s not. But, this is a good article.

8. Richie on November 14th, 2018 10:46 am

Life is full of though decisions. I’m on the fence.I like Gritty because he is cool and fluffy! Also his googly eyes are so cute! Also I don’t like him because in if I saw him in a very dark lonely room with black walls. I would scream my head off. All the thing I said were good would turn bad in a very dark room.

9. stellak. on November 14th, 2018 10:57 am

i dont like gritty because he is ugly and creepy.

10. Harkins on November 14th, 2018 11:00 am

I love Gritty!! They have made him so fun! Have you seen the Christmas commercial with him? He ends up wrapping himself up in wrapping paper. He’s so silly and fun!

11. Alex on November 14th, 2018 11:05 am

Gritty is likes a lion with anther animal. Gritty is not scary for me and he looks cool for me.

12. Richie on November 14th, 2018 11:06 am

Girtty is the new santa? Also Seeing him right next to my christmas tree holding a present in the dark would be super scary. Also why is the picture at the top in a VERY dark room? That’s just wrong. Let me talk to his manager! Come to think of it. There is more bad then good. Umm? Is it just me getting these vibes?Actually, you know what? I’m thinking that he is very cool and a tiny bit weird. Police should lock him up because he escaped from Sesame street jail! :/

13. Brise on November 14th, 2018 11:10 am

Gritty is amazing he looks so cute its awesome.

| |
    _________|__|____|
    _| |_
    _| (0) (0) |_
    | _______ |
    | (_______) |
    _| _|
    _| ______________________|

14. Leah on November 14th, 2018 11:12 am

I have two different opinion about gritty. I like him because he is funny. Also, he is silly. I don’t like him because he gets creepy at times.

15. Benjamin on November 14th, 2018 11:14 am

With a creative mascot like Gritty, he is definitely is one of the most cutest sports mascots ever.

16. Brise on November 14th, 2018 11:15 am

YaY you can be amazing today if you stick with the elmo zombie.

17. gizel on November 14th, 2018 11:21 am

I think gritty should be the new santa. He just needs to dye his fur

18. LexiD on November 15th, 2018 11:15 am

He looks very scary. I agree with all the nos’ to Gritty he is down right scary.

19. Sophia F on November 15th, 2018 11:15 am

Gritty’s a little creepy, and looks like an orange version of cookie monster, but I like the Flyers!

20. sophia on November 15th, 2018 11:20 am

I think Gritty is very scary

21. Nick on November 15th, 2018 11:22 am

I like Gritty he is very funny and fluffy. He is probably the scariest mascot I have seen, though.

22. brandon on November 15th, 2018 11:22 am

I like Gritty now I used to think he was scary!

23. Emily A on November 16th, 2018 11:12 am

Gritty is a bit creepy but I think it is pretty cool how they now have different mascot! Good Article! 😉

24. Taylor on November 16th, 2018 11:14 am

Like the interview page.

25. Leah on December 14th, 2018 10:44 am

My opinion on gritty is that he is kinda creepy and weird but also kinda crazy. But,this was a great article though!

26. Richie on January 17th, 2019 2:23 pm

I haven’t been here in a while. Nice to be back. I’ve come to speak my mind like I have the past 2 times. Sit back and relax as I give you the Gritty comedy act of the century part 1… It was a dark and green and red night. I was dreaming of sugar plums in my head! No creature was stirring not even a Gritty. When of the blue he stole a blue mitten!I woke up to quench my thirst. I got up to hear a big burst! I ran downstairs to worn Santa that my mom was still awake! I went downstairs to know that it is too late. My mom was talking to a figure! It was not Santa!? It was an orange like folk that’s hair looked to be made of yolk. It was a gritty, short a stout. I don’t want to pull on his stout. I was scared of him and lost my thirst. I ran up stairs, what holiday could be worse.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Entertainment

The New Full House

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

News

Martin Luther King Jr.

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Showcase

Spirit Club

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Entertainment

Recent Movies

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Student Life

Christmas Parties

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Student Life

The positives and the negatives about homework

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Entertainment

Kids on Christmas Eve and Day

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Entertainment

The New Full House

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Entertainment

Gifts That Kids Get For Christmas

• Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?

Life Hacks

How To Take Better Pictures

Navigate Right
Flyers New Mascot: Yay or Nay?