Truly Terrific Tennis!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Truly Terrific Tennis!

Shea S., Sports Reporter

Tennis is an Olympic sport where a player hits a ball with a racket. It can be played against a single opponent (singles) or played between two teams of two players (doubles). Tennis is believed to be created in the 12th century in France. Tennis was played in the Olympics in 1896, and then taken out in 1924. In 1988, it became an Olympic event once again and is still one today. Tennis can be played by people of all ages and by anybody who can hold a racket, including people in wheelchairs! Tennis is among the most popular world sports with about 1 billion fans!

The object of tennis is to hit the ball onto the opponent’s side of the court in a way that makes them unable to return the ball. Players are also not allowed to hit the net dividing the court in half. The player who cannot return the ball does not gain a point, while the opposite player does. If a player hits the ball out of bounds, they do not gain a point but their opponent does. If the ball hits the net or the player misses the ball when they swing their racket, it is called a fault.

Some people think that there is only one type of tennis, but that is not true. There are several types of tennis, each played on different types of courts. There are clay courts made out of crushed stone or brick, grass courts made of grass, hard courts made of firm material, and carpet courts made of any removable court covering. Tennis courts used to be an hourglass shape, but are now rectangles.

The tennis rackets, which are used to hit the ball back and forth on the court, have tightly strung strings in the center of the rackets. The player uses the string part to hit the tennis ball. Tennis rackets are usually made of carbon fiber or fiberglass, wood, or metal. The sizes of rackets vary for different sized people.

Tennis is can be played by anybody: girls, boys, kids, adults, and many people with disabilities. It is a unique sport that is popular. Try playing tennis, because you might love it!

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Truly Terrific Tennis!”

1. Colleen on June 7th, 2018 5:15 pm

Great job Shea! I never knew that so many people like tennis. Let’s try to find Ryan’s raquet and play some tennis this summer.

2. Emily A on June 12th, 2018 1:24 pm

Amazing Shea! The whole article is so good! I love it 🙂

3. Justin C on September 12th, 2018 1:27 pm

I really like your article and how you show how to play 😉

4. Shea on September 12th, 2018 1:30 pm

🙂 Thanks

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Entertainment

Hank Zipzer Niagara Falls Or Does It

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

News

Spring into Hardwork: Final Marking Period Brings New Opportunities for Improvement

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Sports

Blue Devil Madness

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Sports

Spring Baseball

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

News

✏The New Test Around: NJSLA💻

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Student Life

The Day of Pranking

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Entertainment

The Revolution of Games

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Entertainment

Are Board Games Really Boring?

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

News

❤️Jump Rope For Heart ❤️

• Truly Terrific Tennis!

Entertainment

“A Dog’s Way Home”- A Review

Truly Terrific Tennis!