The Amazing Chargers Coach

Amaya B., Editor

Timber Creek Regional High School Chargers football team has an amazing head football coach, Rob Hinson. In 2011, he was name South Jersey’s football coach of the year. So far, their winning streak this season is four out of four games won. The Charger’s win against Delsea was Coach Hinson’s 100th win, I thought to interview him because of his big accomplishment. I asked him a few questions on his team and on him personally.

Interview

Q: What is your football schedule?

A: Pre-season starts after school ends in the summer, and practices are four days a week. During the summer, we also go to camps at colleges for more training. After, they have the last 1-2 weeks off in August, and then football season starts. Their practices in fall are Monday through Thursday every week, with games on Fridays. We do this all the way into December, then off season weightlifting begins in January and into March. Most of the guys do track, so they do that in their time between.

Q: Did you play football before coaching? If so, how long?

A: I started playing at the age of four. I played into my second year of high school. I stopped for a while (approximately 20 years) to join the military, and became a member of the Air Force Reserve and Air Force National Guard. Then, I came back and started coaching.

Q: What encouraged you to coach football?

A: I was actually doing social work. Since most of my kids play football, I went to their football practices. Since the head coaches knew me, I told them I wanted to coach.

Q: How long have you been coaching football?

A: I’ve been coaching since 1995, but not all at the same school. I’ve coached at Woodrow Wilson High School in Camden, Camden High School in Camden, Clarion University in Clarion, Pennsylvania, and Norview High School in Norfolk, Virginia. I also coached at Pennsauken High School in Pennsauken Township, Salem High School in Salem, New Jersey, and finally, Timber Creek High School in Camden County, NJ.

Q: On the week of Sept. 8th, the Chargers won against Delsea and made that your 100th win as a football coach. How did you feel when you won?

A: It was a special moment, not just for me, but more so the testament of all the guys I was able to coach. A lot of them are now successful in life. A lot of them are now doctors, lawyers, state troopers, FBIs, teachers, and even police officers.

Before I concluded the interview with Coach Hinson, I came up with this question right on the spot. I thought of this question because to me, it was very important as to why he became an amazing coach.

Q: Why do you like football?

A: I love football because you get an opportunity to compete. But as you get older, you can’t physically compete anymore, so you start to develop maturity and get better at physical activity. You are rewarded for your hard work. There are a lot of lessons you can learn from football.

The Chargers football coach Rob Hinson is a great coach. Timber Creek’s former all-American linebacker said, “He has changed everybody’s life tremendously.” Without the help of his incredible coaching skills, the Chargers football team wouldn’t be ranked #288 in the nation and #9 in the state of New Jersey.